View unanswered posts View active topics  

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC - 8 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 19 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Pinpointers
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:26 pm 
Site Admin

I started off with the Garrett ProPointer and then when I got the Etrac, which came with the attached Sunray probe, I stopped using the ProPointer. But when the Sunray died, I went to use my Propointer, it had died as well. I think it was dying before I stopped using it. But not sure what happen to it, but I tried fix it but it was broke.

So I went out and bought the Whites TRX Bullseye. I really liked the "Vibrate only" feature and it had some nice adjustable settings. But, it has started to die as well. After only about 3-5 months. I've just now sent an email to Whites to see what they can do.

But here's my dilemma, I won't detect without a probe. I've been there and done that, and it sucks. So, if Whites can't work something out with me, which will keep me using the TRX, I'm already looking for a replacement.

Here's a list of choices and the things I like and don't like about each one:

Garrett ProPointer - Sturdy. Weak light. Not adjustable. Has only 1 mode=vibrate and sound. Price dropped to $110. You'll see why below.

Minelab ProFind - 2 modes- vibrate only or vibrate w/sound. Weak light. Says it's water resistant, but not waterproof. Adjustable sens. Spendy $170

Whites TRX Bullseye - 3 modes. 4 adjustable sens. Sort of bulky but you can easily replace the outer shell if broke. Weak light. Also, the power button is flush and makes it sometimes a guess to which side you have up when trying to operate fast without looking. It also takes a long press to shut off. Which I don't like. Very poor side detection. Spendy $150

Vulcan 360 - Kellyco - $120. I don't like that it takes a screwdriver to change battery. Hardly no vids to review it.

Nokta RS Pinpointer - $140 - It's a little wider, but about the same size over all. I'm not a fan of the switch.

Deteknix Xpointer - $90 (I think this is why Garretts priced dropped). I watched a few vids and I like this. It reminds me of the Garrett but has more features I like. It's not made in USA, but has a US rep. Bright light.

Makro Waterproof - $125. This is what I think most have been waiting for, but this lacks in a few areas. It is waterproof to 1 meter for 30 mins. And dustproof. So there's the pluses for detecting in the wet and muddy NW. What I don't like about it is the button locations. And again, it takes a long press to shut off and it makes 6 short beeps when it does. Yuck. Also, any water in the speaker almost kills the sound completely (watch the vid). Made in Turkey.

So I'm in the market for something. Well, a second or first probe. Depending on what Whites says and does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJS_jghRGWI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeTzAkuD8Mg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN28WOzGDEY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tpCnMKhEiM

"It doesn't have to be a perfect number, just the right tone."

Post subject: Re: Pinpointers
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:09 pm 
Site Admin

Whites wants me to send it in, my TRX pinpointer. I'm thinking about getting the Xpointer to try it. And use the TRX as backup. My concern is water & mud. The Makro would be nice, but it just has a few bad issues that I would hate too much.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:24 pm 
Dirt Sniffer

I have the Vulcan and it SUCKS! Haven't tried any of the others on your list but am thinking about the new garret waterproof pointer that is due out soon.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:37 am 
Site Admin

Wow, I didn't know that Garrett had a new one coming out. It will do well if it doesn't false. I end up getting the Xpointer. It works good but I have experienced the problem others have had. It does interfere with detector. It's not super bad, but if the sens is up it can be. It also doesn't react well if there's ungrounded wiring.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:59 pm 
Dirt Sniffer

The add just came out a couple of days ago. Seems they are listening because it is bright orange too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:21 pm 
Dirt Sniffer

Coinfused wrote:
The add just came out a couple of days ago. Seems they are listening because it is bright orange too.

Do you have a reference link?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:04 pm 
Dirt Sniffer

INSAYN wrote:
Coinfused wrote:

Do you have a reference link?

Try this
http://www.bigboyshobbies.net/garrett-pro-pointer-at

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:48 am 
Dirt Sniffer

Nice!

Looks like it'll be a good seller.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:16 am 
Site Admin

Damn.... I wish I had waited. But does it false? My guess, being water ok, probably not.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:43 pm 
Dirt Sniffer

I am new to the forum. This is my first post and I can't believe I'm commenting on pin pointers. I perordered the at pro pin pointer and it should be in mid Feb. I will let you all know how it does or some one can invite me out on a hunt and you can try it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:40 pm 
Dirt Sniffer

Welcome Robert. I preordered my waterproof Garrett last week. Will do a quick update once it arrives and I get to try it out.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:03 am 
Dirt Sniffer

I've had the Garrett Propointer for several years and it has given good service. Agree the light is weak and it's kinda noisy. Nonetheless, I have been thinking of upgrading to the waterproof Garrett "Carrot." Do those who have this pointer like it?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:36 pm 
I Hope It's Silver

I did upgrade from garrett pro pointer to carrot and I love it.

SuperPete on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/DigItMetaldetecting

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:12 am 
Dirt Sniffer

Have a Garrett "carrot" coming from Bart at Big Boys. My old Pro-Pointer goes to my brother in Enumclaw.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:05 pm 
Digs It All

My kid dropped mine in the ocean....so, anyone who just bought one have a functional older one they want to sell for a law-student price?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:50 pm 
Pulltab Collector

I will probably be looking to get one here in 3-4 months. Now that the "carrot" has beeen out for close to a year, opinions on which of two to look harder at....White's TRX, or the Garrett "carrot". Use will be general, not that much nugget hunting as that is a little thin around here. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:59 pm 
Site Admin

I didn't care so much for the TRX and have been using the regular Garrett. I'd go with the waterproof Garrett.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:42 pm 
Pulltab Collector

After looking at both and having both in hand. I ended up with the TRX (got a swinging deal at the gold show), and have picked up a couple of tips on it from a dealer. Have used it on a couple of hunts and like it so far.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:01 pm 
Pulltab Collector

goldhammer wrote:
After looking at both and having both in hand. I ended up with the TRX (got a swinging deal at the gold show), and have picked up a couple of tips on it from a dealer. Have used it on a couple of hunts and like it so far.

By golly there Goldhammer, we do agree on somethings !! Maybe not politics... LoL.... I've had both a garrett and now the TRX and liking it more. There is a good video out, comparing the Garrett carrot and TRX in finding small gold. The TRX is the winner and the carrot will not even pick up the gold. Personally, I like that the tip is the focal point on the TRX for locating a target.

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 19 posts ]