View unanswered posts View active topics  

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC - 8 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 18 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Minelab E-Trac
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:42 pm 
I Hope It's Silver

I need to say a big thank you to Paul for all of his videos and comments comparing the CTX3030 to the E-Trac it is making my decision on an upgrade a whole lot easier. I have now officially ruled out the CTX because of the additional $1,000 in cost plus based on Paul's findings and others from a coin standpoint the E-Trac is at least the equal to the CTX so the extra money makes no sense to me. I also looked at the Deus and the Vsi but the E-Trac just gets so many more positive comments that I have decided to get an E-Trac when finances ease up a bit. I talked on the phone with both KellyCo and Big Boy's Hobbies and can get a new one for about $1250 without buying the packages. I inquired both about used machines and they both said they only take in pristine units and would sell those anywhere from $900 to $1,100 so to me a new one is the best way to go and at least I would have a full warranty and that is worth the extra $200 - $300. I think I'm also going to get the Minelab Swing Pro 45 harness because I'm a little worried about the weight of the E-Trac and the ability to swing it for hours without any assistance so I'm hoping the harness will help. When I decide to pull the plug I will let you know. For now the AT Pro will have to do for a little while longer.

Post subject: Re: Minelab E-Trac
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:41 am 
Site Admin

I thought maybe you'd hung it up. Haven't heard from you in a while. Don too.

I really, really wish the ctx proved to me to find more hidden silvers, but I'm missing the trick or the silver isn't there. But I've dug so many iffys trying to figure out the ctx, and I haven't learned that it finds anything new.

Etrac is a solid choice..... Always.

"It doesn't have to be a perfect number, just the right tone."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:58 am 
I Hope It's Silver

I'm still around I've just been pretty quite on the forum. I enjoy getting out for the exercise rather than finding silver even though that is my goal but with the AT Pro I keep striking out except for than one silver dollar. I just hope the learning curve won't be too high which makes me a little nervous but I will never know unless I get one. Keep your videos coming I thoroughly enjoy them. As far a Don goes I was wondering the same thing. Maybe if he is out there he will drop a not on the forum here and let us know he is okay.

Post subject: ETRAC
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:27 am 
I Hope It's Silver

I just ordered a new etrac from KellyCo and it sure helps to negotiate I got a better price than I expected. It should be here next week so I'm anxious to get started with it. I sold my AT Pro on Craiglists and couldn't believe the calls I got in just 2 days after I posted it. Life is good, lol.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:06 am 
Site Admin

I'm excited for you, but at the same time, I'm looking over the map to find a place to go hunt for silver and I haven't much desire because it's slow going on many places.

Just have fun with the hobby. Dave & I will be out today, probably some place one of us has been to once or twice & give it another shot.

I like and don't like hearing about silvers being found in places I've had hard times with. I like it because it renews my faith in a place I may have given up on & it incourages me to try harder & I don't like it because it shows me how much I missed because I have up on the place.

When I started this hobby, I figured all the easy silver was gone & that my hope was the harder stuff, the iffy targets. That's why I dig those. And I'd say almost half my silvers were iffy, or semi-repeatable, etc.

How many us have passed by a pocket spill of 2 V nickels, Indian Head penny & 2 Barber dimes? I bet that the sound/tone this produces would suck, but what an iffy reward if dug.

Good luck Tom & congrats!

PS - Sorry I moved & merged your post. Just trying to keep subject matter together.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:24 pm 
Pulltab Collector

Congrats on your new Etrac Tom! As for me, I'm still around, got sick in Feb and since then I've only been out once, at Seaside HS, of course I didn't have your luck lol! I've just taken a break, not putting so much emphasis on detecting, was making it more of a chore or competition so I just took my time getting better. I'll be out again soon, maybe the break will do me good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:26 pm 
Dirt Sniffer

Don C wrote:
Congrats on your new Etrac Tom! As for me, I'm still around, got sick in Feb and since then I've only been out once, at Seaside HS, of course I didn't have your luck lol! I've just taken a break, not putting so much emphasis on detecting, was making it more of a chore or competition so I just took my time getting better. I'll be out again soon, maybe the break will do me good.

Good to hear from you don!!!! I just recently have been out more often. Hope to hunt with ya sometime soon?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:05 pm 
Pulltab Collector

Thanks Cody! I'm looking forward to it!

Post subject: E-TRAC
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:51 am 
I Hope It's Silver

I'm lovin the e-trac and starting to get a decent feel for the sounds and numbers although I'm carrying a cheat sheet with me so I can verify what I'm seeing on the screen. I think I've pulled more rusty nails than I have before but really I haven't hit too much trash. I've gotten quite a few coins although no silver yet but I've only got about 4-6 hours on it so far. I think I'll hit Mt. Scott Park for a couple of hours this afternoon and maybe get lucky.

Post subject: Re: E-TRAC
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

If your pulling lots of nails:
1) You might have too little discrimination
2) You might have manual sens a little high.
3) Your not checking N-S, E-W to see if you've got a repeatable signal.
4) You simply like digging nails :)

As you go through the learning curve, I wouldn't worry about going super slow. Just swing at a 1.5 second from left to right.

Only you can decide what you want to dig. I decided that I didn't really like digging mid-tones, etc, and I focused on higher tones. This was me and my choice. I know I walked by gold rings, but didn't dig 2,000 pieces of trash either. The trade off. Many people find gold by just digging nickel numbers or close to. And that's how I get my gold, which is very limited. I get lucky on a nickel dig. I dig for nickels around these numbers (remember, FE #'s can be + or - a few #'s for each coin): 12:8,9,10,11,12,13,14 on the etrac. On the CTX, I've gotten nickels all the way up to 12:17-18, but it's rare. And the numbers might bounce a little too.

Look for:
1:38,39 older wheats might pop in here.....often.
1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20 : 45,46,47,48
1:40,41,42,43,44

But don't walk away from a 22:46. As long as your FE # isn't in iron range and you are getting a repeatable high tone from the CO # being 45 up, dig it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:16 pm 
I Hope It's Silver

Thanks Paul for the input. I'm running strictly the coin program that comes with the e-trac and running sensitivity at auto + 3. Do I look more at the CO number than the FE? I've seen 44, 45, 46 but the FE was 15, 16, or 17. In the few times I've been out I've just been looking for a steady signal that is in the 11 or 12 FE range and 43 and up on the CO. I have dug around those numbers but have just pulled clad dimes & quarters so far. I'll be patient and it will all click eventually.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

If that's what you're doing, then you've passed up silver.

Look for:
1:38,39 older wheats might pop in here.....often.
FE1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20 :CO 45,46,47,48
1:40,41,42,43,44

But don't walk away from a 22:46. As long as your FE # isn't in iron range and you are getting a repeatable high tone from the CO # being 45 up, dig it.

If you read what I've said, 16:45 falls in the above number range. Silver can come almost anywhere. The 12 line is BS. It's a reference line. Coins will fall above and below the 12 line. If you look at the list above, I stopped at FE 20. But by no means does say a silver can't be 21, 22,23,24,25 FE with CO 45+. Deeper coins will change the numbers. Barbers might ring up with a CO 41,42,43,44. The key to the E-trac is tone. If you get a high tone and it repeats. DIG IT! If you've watch my videos, I explain that I love getting targets that have a solid tone in one direction and in the other, the tone hits off and on. Those are iffy, but if you're getting any high tone, scratchy in the other direction, you might dig it.
Tom H wrote:

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:26 pm 
I Hope It's Silver

Paul if it's not too much trouble I would like to meet you some where and have you put a program in for me that is good for silver. Tomorrow morning around 10:00 I'm going down to Rivervilla Park in Oak Grove it's on Abernathy down by the river. But I will come to you just let me know when and where via text or phone. You have my number 503-781-4427.

P.S. If you think the coin program is okay but my sensitivity needs adjusting let me know what it should be. I should also say I'm running in multi tone CO

Thanks,
Tom

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:34 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry Tom. I've been so busy at home I haven't been out all week.

There's no program.
I Mainly ran Manual sens @28, but changes depending on conditions. New to e-trac, should start with Auto sens and work up.
Threshold level - 27
Volume limit - 21 (this will vary depending on your headphones). With Koss, I have to have it at 30.
Volume Gain - 24
Response - Normal
Multi - Tone
Sounds- Conductive
Variability - 26 ( This will vary according to what sounds good to you and different headphones will change your tones, so try and keep the same ones you use all the time. Also, you should never change this # as it is the key to knowing what you're digging. Ear tone memory.)
Limits - 28

Discrimination - I run pretty much a coin/jewelry pattern. I block out iron and bottle caps. but I also block out the "ODD" finds too. I think this is why I don't dig as many tokens, keys and random "odd" relic. I do pick up keys and tokens, etc., but just not as much. When I hit a potential target that is iffy, I drop into auto-sens and switch to "ALL-Metal". I then double check the target. I find that with no discrimination on, I get a clearer picture of what my actual target is. Sometimes I have to check the target in manual sens if the target is deep.

Recovery Deep and Fast - I mainly ran Deep Off & Fast On during 2013 and in 2014 I'm going to run Deep On & Fast Off as default. But I change according to soil conditions as needed.

Trash - High
Ground - Difficult

Run a pattern like the one below with discrimination at the bottom, up to 26 - 25. And that's it. No program.

Attachments:
maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg [ 35.49 KiB | Viewed 2283 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:39 pm 
I Hope It's Silver

Thanks Paul, I just loaded the pattern you suggested and will try it with the other settings you mentioned and will try it out on Sunday morning at a school in the Clackamas/Milwaukie area. I would be out Saturday as well but I'm a Royal Rosarian and there is a parade Saturday that we're in.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:56 am 
Pulltab Collector

Tom, I carried a "cheat sheet" for awhile too when I 1st started using my ctx, it was helpful, especially when some modes give different I'D #'s, like high trash does. Of you haven't done some air tests yet, I would definately spend some time going over various coin (silver & clad) and jewlery targets. Mix in some junk targets and do surface scans too. It'll give you practice and experience learning how the tones and target ID's come in. Numbers may vary somewhat from actual targets in the ground for various reasons but not so much that it won't be worth your while. You've probably already done this is my guess.

You're about to have a much better silver count this year, of course you had a great year with your AT Pro even if you only did find just 1 Silver coin because it was a heck of a coin to find being a BIG silver dollar, and from the 1800's just to top it off!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:08 am 
Dirt Sniffer

I don't have an Etrac, but can see from this thread that I haven't begun to learn my Xterra 705!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:41 am 
Digs It All

I just made the switch from the AT Pro to the Etrac... I've had it about a week... I've been out every day with it, even took a day off work to try to get some "quality" time with her (my wife calls it my mistress...;)). To Paul's comment, I find it to be a rusty nail machine!! I keep getting those sweet sounding high tones that dig nails... so I will try backing off on the discrim. I have had good luck with shallow targets, it helps that the ground has been so wet this week in between rain showers, but I'm sure I have been passing over some good medium and deeper targets because I haven't learned the etrac language completely... Tom, sounds like you have been with the etrac a little over a year now... I would love to hear how the learning curve has been for you as well... maybe you can give me some pointers in the field sometime. Ok, I'm off to take some notes on the forum posts... HH

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 18 posts ]